Friday 6 February 2015

Track Six: Ghosts

"So what's the story behind this one Steve?"

"My good writing buddy, Daryl P Hall, sent me some lyrics and at the time I had been messing around with a tune but had no direction as to the storyline. This is when you need someone to step into the frame and Daryl will always touch on subjects that I would never think of. It makes for good variety."

"Musically , I was listening to a lot of Tom Petty at the time and I wanted to do a straight up acoustic rock song. I usually fall upon a chord progression and then work on  a melody to match, that's how I write, I know no other way. Having the lyrics presented first calls for a different approach. For the lyricist there is freedom to write fluidly but then trying to match what can be sung to the melody you come up with can be quite restricting and so therefore requires modification to get a line to fit. I always try to stick quite close to Daryl's original where possible, after all, you want to keep the essence of his idea too."

Ghosts is an organic tune filled with acoustic guitar, organ and a nod to Mike Campbell on the melodic guitar solo. It's the last track on the EP and a fitting end to this symphonious journey, one I have truly enjoyed.




written by Daryl P Hall & Steve Salterszo
© PinetreeMusic 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment