Tuesday 5 May 2015

The importance of Album track order.

Track 3....Throw Me A Lifeline.



In this day and age when listening to a full album in its entirety seems to be ever spiralling down a slippery slope of exiguous enthusiasm, track order has become significantly more important than ever.


It is estimated by A&R and streaming service decision makers that the maximum number of songs that can be listened to, by an  individual, with today's fast paced lifestyle, is three to four songs. It has been conclusively proven that the earlier a song appears on an album the more likely it is to be streamed and auditioned. Sadly this is not what most artists want to hear but stats and figures show this to now be a mainstream trend. People listen to music while doing ten other things at once and simply sitting down for a good hour to listen to an album in it's entirety is frankly near impossible.




So taking this into account made me personally re-think how my music should be delivered. Now instead of presenting an eleven track album, I have tended to favour four to five track EP's. So instead of one release a year I can now offer two or three depending on song quality.


That brings me on nicely to the dominant feature of any music offering..... QUALITY! Doing smaller releases has forced me to work harder, to trash weaker songs that would most possibly have been included on fuller album releases, and to scrutinise the finer details more. I'm not saying or claiming my songs are the best songs you will ever hear, no I'm not that conceited, but what I am saying is, I work harder to produce and feature better songs.



So to sum up, the evidence is overwhelming. If I want what I believe to be the best songs on my EP\Album I better have them placed as tracks one to three or at a push one to four. This should see them achieve their highest streams, on listening web based sites, and highest paid\unpaid downloads should they be deemed worthy enough to own and keep by the fans.


Track two's blog was entitlted 'Are you still listening?' I hope by track three you've been captivated enough to stick around for tracks four and five as well.

Track 3 sample;

No comments:

Post a Comment