Sunday 19 April 2015

Track Two: Stronger

Are you still listening?

After a little taster given of the first track of my upcoming EP 'Most Popular', I thought it appropriate to give more samples of what's to follow.

The first track maybe the opening salvo, the one that will pull you in or make you run away, but with the second track, well, that's when you need to reassure the listener that there's something worth sticking around for. When writing songs it's not unusual for there to be no coherent formula. So getting a bunch of songs all written at various times, moods, styles and bpm's etc,
to sit nicely, in good chronological order, as an EP or album, requires some planning. It is with that in mind I chose the track 'Stronger' as No.2.

Stronger' started, as is commonplace for me, on the guitar. My favourite goto instrument of choice. Now seeing as I had decided to, try as I might, do a pop EP, the riff would require a contemporary setting to nestle it into that vibe. Obviously synth's would be needed and that was the beauty of recording the EP with Cakewalk's Sonar X3. It comes pre-loaded with some very professional sounding synth's and sound clips. Throw in a little piano here and there and the track started to breathe a life of it's own. 


Now for some lyrics. Well on this occasion and fortunately for me my good friend and writing buddy Daryl P Hall provided some and a song was born. That's the thing that always amazes me. I start of with an idea and usually end up somewhere I never intended. It's like walking on a familiar street, turning the corner and finding yourself in a foreign land. It all seems so unpredictable but somehow, in the end, you manage to make it back home.

Enough rambling on from me, here's the first sample, just me and guitar and then the final finished multi track EP version. Hope you like where this EP is going?

Just vocals & Guitar; Stronger - vocals & guitar only

Final EP version; Stronger - Final Multitrack Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment